Get Adobe Flash player

Enter Card Pick-up ID below:

by bravenet.com

Dreidel Songs
Read Chapters

Katie & Kimble: A Ghost Story
Book 1

Read Chapters 1 to 6 for Free Here!

Vote For Us Daily!

Vote for us at TopMomSites.com

Homeschool Top Sites - Best Homeschool Sites on the Internet

Save the World

FreeKibble.com

FreeKibbleKat.com

The Hunger Site

Play Freerice and feed the hungry

Kids Are Heroes

Energy Fun & Games

What Our Readers Think About Katie & Kimble

Kids

Grab Our Button

Moms’ Ad Exchange

Katie & Kimble Blog Archives
Smallflower.com

Wouldn’t it be fun to read a book and then ask the author a question?

Well, you can do that right here on the Katie & Kimble blog! We’ve had quite a conversation going on already, thanks to our friend and reader, Marissa!  Just look at the great questions she’s asked and the wonderful comments she has shared.

You don’t need to sign in to ask a question and you don’t need to give us your email address.

You can ask questions, give your opinions or talk about anything you want.  Just two rules:  1) be polite, and 2) don’t give your last name!  First names only, please!

Please don’t give your address or phone number, either.  Never give that kind of information online.  That’s because we want this blog to be safe for all kids!

See the comments and questions our readers are posting! Scroll down to the bottom to post your question!

Once you get to the comments page, click on Post a Comment.

I’m looking forward to hearing from you!

Author of Katie & Kimble: A Ghost Story

Mom’s Choice Awards® has named the Katie & Kimble series among the best in family-friendly media, products and services.

Winner: Juvenile Books Series.

Katie & Kimble: A Ghost Story (Book 1 in the series) and Katie & Kimble: The Magic Wish (Book 2 in the series) are available here:

Paperback version:  $5.95

Click here to order Katie & Kimble: A Ghost Story!

Click here to order Katie & Kimble: The Magic Wish (Book 2)!

[Reading Level 3, 280L, for ages 6-10]

Nine-year-old Katie Russell and her family look normal. But the Russells don’t know they are living with Kimble, the ghost of a ten-year-old girl.That is, until Katie discovers Kimble and the two of them set off on a quest to find out what happened to Kimble’s mother.

Please visit us here (http://katieandkimbleblog.com) for updates.

© 2008 – 2012 by Linda Thieman

205 Responses to Ask the Author a Question! – Katie & Kimble: A Ghost Story, a chapter book series for ages 6-10

• Anonymous says:

I was one of your Feb, 2008 winners. I received your book today. Thank you so much!

• Anonymous says:

My pleasure! Thank you for letting me know you received it.

• Anonymous says:

Hi and thank you very much. Katie and Kimble will soon be read by my grand daughter thanks to your generosity. I just won a copy! She'll be here tiomorrow, it's March break here, Can't wait to hear her response.
    Again many thanks
    Wendy

• Anonymous says:

Thanks for lettiing me know you got the book, Wendy! Really appreciate it. I hope your granddaughter likes it. If she does, the second book in the series, Katie & Kimble: The Magic Wish, will be out in print in about two weeks. I'm quite excited about it. In Katie & Kimble: A Ghost Story, Katie's dad never actually finds out about Kimble, so that is the premise of the second book–how Mr. Russell finds out about Kimble and his reaction!

• Anonymous says:

I was one of the runner up windows. i wanted you to know that we were thrilled to get a copy of your book and my daughter is enjoying it very much!

• Anonymous says:

Thanks, Melissa! I'm so glad to hear your daughter is enjoying the book! She must be quite a reader if she is reading it already–you've only had it for a few days! Please invite her to post a comment or a question on the Katie & Kimble blog. I'd love to hear from her.

• Anonymous says:

Linda, thanks for the story. I am one of rich's kids and I came accross this by googling my dads name. We are actually over my parents house for my dads 70th birthday today. I showed him the story and he really enjoyed the memory. He and my mom told me to ask how your family is doing.
    Thanks Jim Rollins

• Anonymous says:

Jimmy! So good to hear from you. Last I saw you, I don't think you were even out of diapers. Of course, I'm sure that has changed by now!
    Happy Birthday, Rich! Where are you located these days? Nancy and I both live in Sioux City, Iowa. Mom is happily remarried, but Dad passed away in 2002. He always had such fond memories of you and Lynne.
    Thanks for posting, Jim! And thanks for letting me borrow your dad! Give Rich and Lynne our love!

• Anonymous says:

Hi my name is Marissa and i just wanted to say that I love your books!!! I started reading book 2 today and I could not stop. I am already on chapter 4 and when I finish this post I am going to read some more. You are a great author and I hope to see another book come out. 🙂

Hi, Marissa!
    Thank you for your kind words! I am glad you like book 2! You must be quite a reader! I'll let you in on a secret: I hope to write book 3 this summer. It's going to be called Katie & Kimble: The Golden Door. You're the first one to know!
    Again, thanks for writing. I hope you enjoy the rest of the book!

• Anonymous says:

Marissa I am glad to see that there is another book. Also i am not much of a reader but when i read your books I seem like i just cant stop.

• Anonymous says:

When I was a kid, I didn't read much. That was because I thought most of the books were boring. The trick is to find books that you like!
    Thanks for posting!

• Anonymous says:

Marissa most the time when I read a boring book i space out and I would have to start all over reading, but with wour books I just dont space out.

• Anonymous says:

marissa what I ment to say was most the time I space out when I am reading a boring book, but with your books i dont space out.

• Anonymous says:

Thank you, Marissa! That is quite a compliment!
    I remember what I wished were in a book when I was reading as a kid. Then I try to make sure I include that in the Katie & Kimble stories. I also think it makes a difference if the reader really cares about the characters in the book.

• Anonymous says:

I would hope to see more books after your 3rd book.

• Anonymous says:

As a matter of fact, I have a total of 6 books planned out. So that means, after I write book 3, I will be doing 3 more books. After that, I will probably do more!
    Thanks for the encouragement, Marissa. I appreciate it!

• Anonymous says:

It would be cool if there was a movie

• Anonymous says:

That would be cool! The neatest thing about making a movie from the Katie & Kimble stories would be that we could add music. In particular, I love the song called Graceful Ghost Rag. It always reminds me of Kimble. You can listen to it on the blog. Click on “Kimble's Song” on the right sidebar!

• Anonymous says:

The song is cool I like it

• Anonymous says:

I'm glad you like the song! I love it so much, I listen to it several times a week!

Dose katie have a song?

• Anonymous says:

Gee, that's a good question! I never really thought of it. Kimble has a song and Mr. Russell has a song–because he sings it in book 2, as you know. I will have to keep my eyes and ears open for a song for Katie! Thanks, Marissa!

• Anonymous says:

It would be cool if twinkle had a song to.

from marissa

• Anonymous says:

Hi, Marissa! Now that you mention it, Twinkle sort of does have a song. Here is what I am thinking. Well, have you read the Kimble, Kimble chant? It's over on the right sidebar and also on the last page of the books.
    Well, this chant almost fits into the melody of “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.” I especially like the part where it goes, “Twinkle, Twinkle, great big dog!” LOL
    So, I guess, at this point, Twinkle's song is “Twinkle, Twinkle, Great Big Dog!” I thought that was kind of funny!

OH WOW that is soo cool

• Anonymous says:

I was thinking it over and here is how the Kimble, Kimble Chant fits into the melody of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. You CHANT the first two lines: Kimble, Kimble is a ghost. Katie, Katie loves her most!
    OK, then you can either keep chanting, or you can start singing Twinkle, Twinkle, great big dog. And if you start singing there, the rest of the chant fits into the song perfectly! I did not even plan that! LOL. The first six lines of the Kimble, Kimble Chant just popped into my head one day!

• Anonymous says:

WOW well that is cool! i love that. It is cool that it just poped into your head.

• Anonymous says:

I agree! I never would have thought of doing a chant otherwise.

• Anonymous says:

Well I am glad you did the chat. marissa

• Anonymous says:

I think it's a neat idea, too! I haven't heard if anyone has tried doing the chant and making up hand claps to go with it yet. Did you try singing it to see how it fits into Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star? I've been doing that for 2 days now! LOL

• Anonymous says:

Yes i have been doing that it fits perfictly it is so fun doing it. marissa

• Anonymous says:

Hey, Marissa! I thought of a song for Katie! I always think of Katie when I hear “Down by the Old Mill Stream.” My parents used to always sing it together when we traveled in the car. They would sing harmony. Very pretty. My explanation and a sample of the song are the main blog post today, thanks to you! (Well, I've got it set to go up in the morning!)

• Anonymous says:

Well that is cool. It is also cool that you wrote about me on your blog by katies picture

• Anonymous says:

Were you able to listen to the song? The one I posted is kind of a funny version!

• Anonymous says:

yah I did it was cool, and funnie

• Anonymous says:

from marissa. I keep forgeting to put my name.LOL

• Anonymous says:

Oh, I'm glad you thought it was funny! Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks something is funny! LOL

• Anonymous says:

Well your not the only one!!! marissa

Marissa–
    Who is your favorite character in the Katie & Kimble books?

• Anonymous says:

Well it is tied between katie and kimble. But the wierd thing is in a way i look like katie and my friend looks like kimble. marissa

• Anonymous says:

Hey, that is kind of weird that you and your friend look like Katie and Kimble! I also agree with you that it is hard to choose a favorite between Katie and Kimble. I do, however, like Mr. Clem a lot! Katie's in all that trouble, and he's so friendly and making all those silly jokes! I laugh every time I read it!

• Anonymous says:

That is cool. i sorta forgot about him

• Anonymous says:

I know what you mean. The first book came out so long ago! LOL I hope I can get book 3 out faster!

• Anonymous says:

I hope so to i am looking forward to reading it marissa

• Anonymous says:

Well, in that case, I'll give you a little preview! In book 3, Katie & Kimble: The Golden Door, Katie makes a new friend. His name is Danny Garcia, he's 10, and his mom works with Mrs. Russell at the computer company. But, does Danny know about Kimble? We'll have to wait and see!

• Anonymous says:

I can not wate, but is there any other ghosts besids kimble in the 3rd book?

• Anonymous says:

Well, there is not exactly another “ghost” in book 3, but Katie and Kimble DO meet a very important “spirit teacher”. She's Kimble's spirit teacher. And she's there to help Kimble with some things she doesn't know about being a ghost. I can tell you all this because it's in chapter 1!

OOH that is so cool. i wish i could read the 3rd book right now!! lol

• Anonymous says:

Me, too! Book 3 has just been popping into my head like crazy today. I'm going to have to start writing quickly.
    I wanted to make one correction to what I wrote in my last comment. Book 3 sort of does have some other ghosts–I mean, they are sort of like ghosts, but they don't get “stuck” like real ghosts get stuck!
    How's that for a piece of information?! LOL

• Anonymous says:

Thats pritty cool. what chapter are you on?

• Anonymous says:

ahh i did it again from marissa!!! LOL!:)

Hi, Marissa!
    I'm only in the middle of chapter 1, but I've got notes and more notes for the rest of the chapters. I've got about 2 more days on another big project I'm working on, and then I can start in with book 3. I can't wait. I'm chomping at the bit, just like a horse that wants to go faster but someone is holding it back! LOL

• Anonymous says:

oh, i thought you were farther.lol

• Anonymous says:

Well, it's all up there in my head! LOL

• Anonymous says:

lol. I am just happy you are doing a 3rd book!!

• Anonymous says:

Thanks! So am I! LOL The hard part is dividing it up into chapters. But, I am having a LOT of fun doing it!

• Anonymous says:

YAH it must be a bit hard trying to make everything perfect!:)

• Anonymous says:

Yes! That's exactly my problem! LOL I try something, then it doesn't work. Right now, I kept the first two pages of chapter 1 and I threw out the rest. I also threw out the beginning of chapter 2. The story will still be the same. I just need to WRITE it better! LOL

• Anonymous says:

wow that seems like some hard work, but when you are done you are so prowd of your self. I once try to write a book in 3rd grade and me and my friend worked on it for a long time but then she moved an she took the story with her so i could not work on it. lol

• Anonymous says:

Wow! You were writing a book in third grade! Too bad your friend took it with her when she moved.
    Well, you've got me beat by several years. I started writing my first book in 8th grade. Never finished it, but my sister liked it! LOL

lol what was it about?
    marissa!

• Anonymous says:

Well, at the time, there was a TV show called The Partridge Family. It was about a family that had a pop band. You could also buy Partridge Family mystery novels. I read one or two of those, and decided to write one. Each chapter needed to end with something scary. And all the characters from the TV show had to be in the book. I know I got into the second chapter, at least. My sister said she thought the way I had written it, the characters sounded just like they did on TV! LOL
    What was your book about?

• Anonymous says:

My book was about me and a few other friends and we went back in the woods and sudenly we got lost and we had to eat all different typs of plants and we had to make blankets out of leafs and it talked about the trubles and adventures we went through.

• Anonymous says:

Wow! That sounds like an interesting book! What a great idea. I'll bet that was fun to work on with your friend.

• Anonymous says:

Yes yes it was we got to the 30th chapter then she moved so we could not work on it.

• Anonymous says:

Wow. So many chapters! I think I'd try to get the book back. Maybe make a photocopy so you can each have a copy of it.

• Anonymous says:

lol but the only problem is i dont know where she moved.lol

• Anonymous says:

Oh, that's too bad! Still, how neat that you wrote a book! There may be another book in you some day! It kind of works that way. 🙂

• Anonymous says:

yah I have allways loved wrighting storys, like when i wright a poem it makes me jyst want to tern it into a book.lol

• Anonymous says:

Oh, I know what you mean! I get that same feeling where I just want to create a story. It gets inside my head and swirls around and I take notes. Then, finally I try to organize it! LOL

• Anonymous says:

yah like i just think of what a cool story would be and then i just start to write. and also i always think of cool movies to.lol

from marissa!
    This is about the 4th time i have done this.

Hi, Marissa! Thanks for signing your name! LOL
    (Sometimes I forget to sign my name, too. But since I run the blog, I can delete my post and re-do it!)
    Do you keep a journal with all your story and movie ideas in it?

• Anonymous says:

well mostly I remember my ideas but most the time i remember them.

• Anonymous says:

Oh, you're lucky you can remember! I learned the hard way to always write everything down when I think of it. Some ideas just disappeared because I didn't write them down! LOL It's one of those “tips” on how to be a writer.

• Anonymous says:

yah that happens some times with me and i hate it.

• Anonymous says:

Did you and your friend draw any pictures to go with your book?

• Anonymous says:

yes yes we did she drew some and i drew some and then we fixed each others

• Anonymous says:

Hey, that's an excellent example of teamwork! Were you doing it as a homework assignment or were you doing it just for fun?

• Anonymous says:

yah it is i guess when we wrote the story we used alot of team work!:)

• Anonymous says:

What made you decide to write your story? I mean, why did you decide to do it? It's such a great idea!

• Anonymous says:

Well I would allways get an 100% in writing and I loved to write and same with my friend and so we wrote a book.

• Anonymous says:

I thought writing with a partner would be neat, too. At first, my sister and I were going to write Katie & Kimble together. But then she went back to college and finished her BA, and then she got her MSW. So she didn't have time. So Katie & Kimble became my project!

• Anonymous says:

Wow thats cool I never new that. Yah it is pritty fun writing a book with apartner.

• Anonymous says:

I was very excited today because I was able to write half a chapter of Book 3. The scene just popped into my head and I could see all the dialogue. So, I'm like, I'll just open up Word and type it all in right now! That's when writing is the easiest!
    Only trouble is that I don't know which chapter it is! LOL Well, it's in there somewhere, I'm sure. 😉

• Anonymous says:

Well thats cool you got to write a half of a chapter. D you know how many chapters are going to be in the 3rd book.

• Anonymous says:

Well, let's see. Book 1 had 11 chapters and Book 2 had 12 chapters. So, I'm hoping for 11 or 12 chapters in Book 3. This time around, I'm going by average number of words per chapter. I figured it up and taking the first two books together and then doing some math, the average number of words per chapter is about 1300. So that's a good guideline for me to follow.

• Anonymous says:

Thats very exciting! I cant wait till the book comes out.

• Anonymous says:

i have read book 1 but not book 2 yet but my friend keeps telling me i should so i guess i will.
    ada

• Anonymous says:

I think it's exciting, too, Marissa! It is so much fun to see a new story forming in my mind. . . , thinking about it and organizing it. And doing research so I get the information correct!

• Anonymous says:

Hi, Ada! I agree with your friend. I think you will enjoy book 2. It has some surprises in it, I think.
    Thanks for posting!

• Anonymous says:

What do you do reserch on?

• Anonymous says:

Oh, I do research on things like Kimble's religion. She's Jewish and I want to get that information correct. Then, let's see, I do research on the time in which she lived. Like what does Kimble know? Did they have cars back then? Did Kimble have a bike? Was it common for kids to have bikes back then like it is now? And then I also did research on what Kimble looks like. What kind of dress would she wear? How did she wear her hair? So, I like my information to be real. Thanks for asking!

• Anonymous says:

Wow thats very interesting when i was writing my book i never did reserch. I gues In the future I will remember to do some reserch.

• Anonymous says:

I think doing research for your writing is a great idea! That way, you can add details to your story that make it seem real.
    Funny story–I had a friend read book 1 before it was published. And he said to me, here you have Katie land in a pile of leaves. And here, you say this is a PINE forest. Well, pine trees drop NEEDLES, not leaves! So, I'm like, oh yeah! And I changed it! LOL It's good to get the details right!

• Anonymous says:

Lol and it is good to have some one chek the book you wrote, because if some one didnt the would publish somthing with a mistak like yours.

• Anonymous says:

So true! Another good writing tip for us writers to remember. Clearly, nature is not my strongest area! LOL

• Anonymous says:

Yah me neither, so what chapter are you writing for book three?

Hi, Marissa!
    Well, yesterday, I sort of made up a bad outline. I just wrote down all the things I want to put in the book, but didn't put them in order. I guess the order will come later. At least, this way, I won't forget any of the parts.
    I think tomorrow, I will work on chapter 1 again. I do know what is going to be in chapter 1 and at least part of chapter 2. Then after that, I have to organize the rest of it.
    You know, with Book 1, the first thing I wrote was the last chapter! LOL. It just popped in!

• Anonymous says:

Wow it must be hard puting all the chapters in order, but once you do that i know the book wil be great.
    Marissa.

• Anonymous says:

Well, I must admit that Book 3 seems to be a bit more difficult to organize than the other two books. I don't know why. But I'll have more free time to work on it now. I finished my other work yesterday. Yay!
    So, Marissa, do you have a new story in mind that you think you might start writing this summer?

• Anonymous says:

Well i am thinking about writing a book witg my best friend kacy.

• Anonymous says:

Oh, that sounds great! This time, maybe you can make photocopies so you each have a copy! Good luck to you!

• Anonymous says:

hah that would be a good idea. We have a cuple ideas to write a book on do you want to heer.

Hi, Marissa!
    I would love to hear your ideas. Will your book be fiction?

Yes it weill be

• Anonymous says:

Will you be drawing pictures to go with your story?

• Anonymous says:

i am pritty shore of it and me and my friend kasy might write it with my other friend kassie too.

• Anonymous says:

Oh, gee, that sounds like so much fun! Make 3 copies! LOL What will your story be about? Have you decided on that yet?

• Anonymous says:

Well actualy if the book is good i can send you a copy. and we are thinking of some ideas and it might be about us three, and were just going to start writing the book and see where we get. lol

• Anonymous says:

That sounds like a good plan! Just go with the flow and see where it takes you. I'd like to read it. Make 4 copies! LOL

• Anonymous says:

I will make 4 copies. I have allready started drawing pictures.

• Anonymous says:

Oh, that's great! Can't wait to see them.
    Hey, Marissa, have you tried clicking on the yellow stripes on the sidebars of the Katie & Kimble Blog yet?

• Anonymous says:

No i have not, but i will try it right now!!

So, what did you think?
    Funny story about that. My mom and my new daddy were visiting the blog one day. They decided to click on the yellow stripes. However, they did not realize that one of the stripes was a dog barking and it scared them so much they almost fell out of their chairs! LOL

• Anonymous says:

Yah i saw the dog barking, ant that is funnie that thay fell out of there chairs.
    marisssa

• Anonymous says:

I know! LOL. I think what happened was they had been listening to the music on the blog and they still had their speakers turned on. They thought a picture was going to pop up!
    I'm trying to find a different dog sound. This sound is called a “big dog,” but I still think this dog is smaller than Twinkle. I need a “great big dog!” hehe

• Anonymous says:

It is cool that if you clik on the bars a barking dog pops up. That was a cool idea. How did you do that?

• Anonymous says:

I also found a “great big dog” barking sound, so I changed it this morning.
    Well, here's how I do it. Every file has a name. If it's a picture, it will have a name like Katie.jpg or Katie.gif. If it's a sound, it will have a name like dog.wav. So then I upload the file to the blog. Then I use some computer code and add it to the yellow stripes. So if I add, say Katie.jpg, to the code, then a picture will pop up. If I add dog.wav to the code, a sound will pop up!

• Anonymous says:

Wow thats cool. was it hard.

• Anonymous says:

Well, let's put it this way. Yes, it was hard the first time I did it because I had to teach myself computer language (well, a little, at least!). However, after that, it was easy because I just copied the first one and changed the name of the file I was using! Like, I might change Katie.jpg to dog.wav.
    …And speaking of dogs, I am thinking the new boy in book 3, Danny Garcia, has a beagle! The beagle might not be in Book 3, but she will definitely become Twinkle's friend in later books. That will be funny–one great big dog playing with a little dog like that!
    Marissa, would you like to name Danny's (girl) dog for me?

• Anonymous says:

oh yes. thank you. i might have to think about this one.LOL!!

• Anonymous says:

OK, thanks! Take your time. A name that kids can easily read and say would be great! But really, it can be anything–a dog's name, a girl's name, a boy's name, a strange name–anything you like will do for me!

what about krystal.

• Anonymous says:

Oh, I LOVE that! What a great name. Krystal it is! Thank you, Marissa! Krystal the beagle and her friend, Twinkle, the great, big sheepdog!

• Anonymous says:

lol yah that name kust came to me

• Anonymous says:

Really? It just popped into your head, then? Interesting.
    Do you have a dog, Marissa?

• Anonymous says:

Yes i ahve two one is a boy named cooper and one is a girl named ginger. do you have any dogs?

• Anonymous says:

No, I don't have any dogs right now. I had three dogs when I was a kid, though. Not all at the same time! I wrote a funny story about my dog and my dad. I posted it on the right sidebar. It's called “When I was 7: My Dog.” You should read it–my dad had quite a good sense of humor! I think you'd enjoy it!

• Anonymous says:

ok i will read it. do you have any pet besides a dog?

• Anonymous says:

I don't have any pets right now. But I had a turtle named Teddy when I was a kid and I had a cat named Tiger. He sort of looked like a tiger! My sister had hamsters. And I had a chicken! Oh, yeah, and an alligator! And we didn't even live on a farm. LOL
    Have you had other pets, too?

• Anonymous says:

yes i do as i told you befor a have two dogs and my brother has a bunnie named sunnie and i have six fish and there names are spottie, cliff, kren, shey, dottie and new. And i used to have 2 more fish but they died and there names were marshmellow and shey. i named my new fish arter shey because she reminds me so much of her

• Anonymous says:

Oh, I like your fish names! That reminds me–my sister had two goldfish when she was a kid. My dad knew these two old men who were brothers and their names were Irwin and Merwyn. So my sister named her fish Irwin and Merwyn. Well, then, come to find out, the men's names were actually IRVIN and MERVIN. So all that time, those fish had the wrong names! LOL

• Anonymous says:

lol thats funnie. what is your favorit animal?

• Anonymous says:

Oh, I am definitely a dog person! And of all the dogs in the world, I love a short-legged beagle the most. I love to look at pictures of beagle puppies!
    What is your favorite animal?

• Anonymous says:

Mine is a dog to and i like golden retreavers.

• Anonymous says:

Oh, I can see why you like Golden Retrievers–they are beautiful dogs. Are Cooper and Ginger Golden Retrievers?

• Anonymous says:

Ginger is one but cooper is a mix between a hown dog and a golden retreaver.

Hi, Marissa!
    I have another fish story! When my sister was little, there was a neighbor boy who had two goldfish. He was going to feed them to his bigger fish. So my sister bought them to rescue them. Then she named them James Lester and Priscilla Anthony!
    I said those sure are two BIG names for two small fish! LOL

• Anonymous says:

lol. so what inspired you to become a author?

• Anonymous says:

Well, now you've got me thinking! LOL Let's see. I'd been a teacher for a lot of years, and I taught writing. Then after I quit teaching, I worked as a freelance writer. That means magazines gave me jobs–I'd write an article and they'd pay me. So, then I thought it would be fun to write fiction–a children's book series because the characters could really learn and grow. I thought it would be fun to write about the same characters again and again. And I also thought, well, when you read a story you enjoy, you just don't want it to end, so if I just kept continuing the story, then readers wouldn't get that let-down feeling when the book is over (like I always get)! Of course, I suppose I'll have to write several more books to solve THAT problem! LOL
    Thanks for asking!

• Anonymous says:

wow!! what do you lke most about writing

• Anonymous says:

I love the part where I've been thinking about the story, not quite sure exactly where it's going to go–and then suddenly, a scene pops into my head and I can hear the dialog or maybe see it like it's on a page. So I start typing it out. It's sometimes so surprising! Then, later, I go back and fix things and add things and take things out. But the main part is already there.
    How about you? What is your favorite part of writing?

• Anonymous says:

mine is pritty much the same.

• Anonymous says:

It's a really neat thing for a writer, isn't it?! And YOU get to draw your own pictures, too!
    Well, Katie & Kimble: The Golden Door is coming along nicely. Chapters 1 and 4 are finished. Chapter 2 is half done, and then I still have that half a chapter from later in the book, too. Still don't know which chapter that will be! LOL
    How is your book coming?

• Anonymous says:

Well we have not started yet but we are talking about what the chapters are going to be about.lol
    but i am haveing one of my frinds over today so we can start working on it. But the funnie thing is we have allready started to draw the pictures.

Hi, Marissa!
    Well, discussing it is always a good first step. When your friend comes over to work on the book, how do you do it? For example, do you both give ideas and one of you writes it down?

• Anonymous says:

Yah we both give ideas and then write them down.

• Anonymous says:

That sounds fun! At first, my sister and I were going to write Katie & Kimble together. The books were going to be a lot shorter. They were going to have a lot of rhymes, like a Dr. Seuss book. Then the idea grew and grew, and it turned into a chapter book series, and I ended up writing it alone. But my sister was there at the beginning and she picked the names Katie & Kimble! That was a lot of fun! LOL We wanted two names that sounded good together and that started with the same sound.

• Anonymous says:

wow thats cool! Did the anamations of the book just come to you?

• Anonymous says:

Yes, some of the pictures I saw in my head. Then I asked the illustrator to draw them. Usually, I see how many chapters I have, then I figure I need one big picture for every other chapter.
    In book 1, I knew more of what I needed, but in book 2, I'd say something like I need a picture of Mrs. Russell for chapter so-and-so. Then the artist had the freedom to choose what she wanted to draw. That worked beautifully!

• Anonymous says:

it sounds like it worked out good.

• Anonymous says:

Yes, it has been working very well.
    I would love to draw my own pictures. However, I have no talent in that direction! If I draw a picture, it looks like a three-year-old did it.
    I do like doing graphics, too. For example, I designed the look of this blog. And I like to find clip art and then add words to it, like I did for the Katie & Kimble Activity Corner. I love working with colors!
    How about you?

• Anonymous says:

yah i like dawing and i like doing stuff with power point. do you know what power piont?

• Anonymous says:

Oh, I never even thought to use PowerPoint. I did a search of my computer and I see I do have the PowerPoint software. Now that is a great idea!
    What do you use PowerPoint for when you use it?

• Anonymous says:

Well usualy when i want something frome my parents i make one , but that was only once. lol. and after a vacation we put are pictures on the computer and then i make a presentation. and i just use it when i am bored.

• Anonymous says:

That sounds neat! Do you do things like make words swirl and pop up on the page? I asked my sister and she said it is possible to do things like that.

• Anonymous says:

yah i make words blink chang color and alot more.

• Anonymous says:

Really? Looks like I'm going to have to make time to learn PowerPoint! Sounds both neat and fun!
    How is your summer going?

• Anonymous says:

yah if you want i could teach you some of that stuff.
    My summer is good i have only been swing once bet that is still ok. and i am very exited because in a few weeks i am going on vacation.

• Anonymous says:

Hey, thanks for the offer of help on PowerPoint, Marissa! If I have any questions, I will definitely seek your advice! I appreciate it!
    Will you be going to a beach for your vacation?

• Anonymous says:

Yes i will be we are going to hilton head island which is on south caralina.

• Anonymous says:

Oh, that sounds fun! I suppose you'll get to go swimming? What else do you do there? Do you go fishing, too?

• Anonymous says:

Well we watch people fish and last year a man cought 2 sting rays.
    we make sand castels and go shoping and at night we go on long walks on the beach.

• Anonymous says:

Sounds like a GREAT vacation! I wonder how in the world a fisherman catches a stingray?

I dont realy know.
    i am so exited we are leaving to go on vacation on friday, and my aunt is coming with us

Hi, Marissa!
    You got me so curious about catching stingrays that I had to look it up! They live in shallow water, like in sea grass beds, and feed on the bottom. They like to eat small animals. So I guess you bait the hook with meat (like a small crab) and let it drag along the bottom of a sea grass bed. Babies are about 9 inches in diameter, males can get to be up to about 2 feet in size, and females can be up to 5 feet in size!
    Hey, hope you have a great vacation! Maybe when you get back, you can tell me all about it! I would enjoy that!

wow i never new that.
    and i will tell you all about.

• Anonymous says:

Will you and your family be driving? I remember one year my mom and her sister and my sister and I drove all the way over to the other side of South Dakota to visit Mt. Rushmore–that's where the presidents' heads are carved in stone. That was pretty awesome! When you get up close, the carvings are HUGE! It was very surprising!

• Anonymous says:

yah we will be driving we are leaving today so i am very exited.
    thats souds fun!

• Anonymous says:

Have a fun and safe trip, Marissa! I'll look forward to hearing about it when you get back–after you rest up, of course!

• Anonymous says:

Hay i am back. i had so much fun i would take forever to tell you all about it so i will tell you little by little.
    ok so i met olot of new people and they were realy nice.
    and on our lasd dat me and the people i met all togethrt we found 900+ sand$. it was awesome, but i put all of them back.

• Anonymous says:

Hey, Marissa! Glad to hear you're back!
    Wow, 900+ sand dollars–that is amazing! I wonder why there were so many? Maybe it had to do with the time of the year. Did you take home a few as a souvenir?

• Anonymous says:

no. If i did i would feel bad.lol

• Anonymous says:

Were they alive when you found them or had they already washed up on shore and so they were like seashells, sort of?

• Anonymous says:

they where still alive in the ocean.
    i love the little talking girl at the top of the page.

• Anonymous says:

Oh, they were still alive! I've never even seen a live sand dollar! How neat! You must have been in shallow water to catch so many of them and collecting them in pails?
    Yeah, I spent all last week trying to get the little talking girl to function. I named her Freddie! She's supposed to have a kind of yellow/gold striped background, but sometimes it doesn't work right and she has a white background. Sitepal has been all over the blog for the last week trying to fix it! LOL
    What color background shows on your computer?

• Anonymous says:

wow it must have been hard work to get fredie.
    the backround is gold for

• Anonymous says:

Yeah, it did take a long time to get it working right!
    What else did you do on your vacation?

• Anonymous says:

well there were alot of jellie fish and i got to see an alagator and alot of people keped catching sting rays.

• Anonymous says:

My word, that sounds like a dream vacation! Did you wear your shoes on the beach so as not to step on a jelly fish?

• Anonymous says:

well now bacause i love the feeling of the sand on my feet. the great part was where ever we went we got to walk to it on the beach

• Anonymous says:

Wow! I've been wanting to go sit by a waterfall. When you're near moving water like that, the air you breathe is at its most healing.
    Did you stay in a cabin on the beach, then?

• Anonymous says:

well i wasnt by a waterfall i wish i was. i was at hilton head island.

• Anonymous says:

I think the air on the beach has the same healing effect as the air near a waterfall. The water moves. The waves come crashing in. I think it's one of the reasons that people love being near the water so much. Probably that and all the different sea life that you get to see! And, of course, the feel of sand beneath their feet, like you said!

• Anonymous says:

yah when i go there its like an escape from the feal world its a chanse to just sit back and relax.

• Anonymous says:

Oh, I know what you mean! So relaxing! It sounds like a pretty good setting for one of your books!

• Anonymous says:

yah thats what i thought. or it could be a good drawing

• Anonymous says:

Oh, yeah! It would make a great drawing.
    You know, when I was a kid, I read a book I really liked. It was called “Susie and the Ballet Family.” I read it once and then I lost it somehow. But I always remembered it. It's not in print anymore, but I found an old used copy on Amazon a few weeks ago and I read the book again. It's a little slow at the beginning and Susie doesn't have much of a personality, but the book is set during the summer at the beach, and that was pretty neat! Plus, I thought the author did a great job writing about dancing and working it into the story.

• Anonymous says:

Oh wow that sounds like a realy good book.
    See with me i am a realy picky reader but that book seems like it could be very interesting.

• Anonymous says:

Another book I really loved when I was a kid was called “From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.” It's a terrible title and I don't know what it means, but the story is quite interesting. I haven't read it recently, but it was about a girl and her little brother who live in New York City and they decide to run away. So they run away to a huge museum and live there for some time. At the same time that they are living there, there is some mystery going on and so during the night when the museum is closed and they are alone, they search for clues. It was quite fun to read!
    My sister loved this book, too, and she was a very picky reader!

• Anonymous says:

wow some how i think i have read that!!
    for three day i went camping and me and some friends had so much fun we went swiming in the little miamie and there in spots it was realy deep at least 15 ft. and so we jumped off a tree and we had so much fun and we wen conewing and kyacking sory if i spelled that wrong. And at night if we were quiet you could hear the water it was so peaceful and in the morning i woke up befor everyone and i listened to the birds and the water.
    it was sooo much fun!!!!

• Anonymous says:

Wow, Marissa! That is amazing! Jumping off a tree into the middle of a river–how daring! How neat to go canoeing AND kayaking! I've never been in a kayak. I'm probably a big chicken about it! LOL
    It sounds wonderful. You really know how to create a feeling with words!

• Anonymous says:

Yah it was very fun i had the time of my life. and than a few years ago i went to a camp and we went wite water wrafting and the water was 10 ft deeper than it was befor because ther was i thunder storm and the river rapids were out of control, but it was so much fun. and we did alot more things at camp do you want me to tell you?

• Anonymous says:

Yes, please, do tell me about your camp experience! I would be way too chicken to go rafting!
    I went to Camp Cassaway, a Girl Scout camp, when I was 10. There was some parasite (bug) in the water, so before we could swim, they had to spray us with cold water. That closed the pores of the skin so the bug couldn't get in. But if you forgot, then you broke out in this horrible red rash all over your body that itched and itched. I hear some of lakes around here are infected like that this year. Yikes! LOL

• Anonymous says:

yah camp was so much fun we did alot of stuff like conewing and kyacing and we had littlt wrafts and we floated down the river!! it was so much fun!!

Hi, Marissa!
    Have you ever tried a paddle boat? When I was a kid, my sister and I and some friends went to Missouri. We rented some paddle boats. It's sort of like a raft, and it has two seats, and each seat has pedals, like a bike. It also has a steering handle. So we steered out of the dock and then paddled down the river, which was fun and easy. Then we turned around to return to the dock, and we were pedaling against the water. That was really hard! We were like, well, I guess we won't go so far next time! LOL. It was great fun!

• Anonymous says:

Ya i have been on a padle boat in floriada it was alot of fun. i went with like all my aunts uncles gradma and grampa.

Hi, Marissa!
    Are you back in school now? Do you like your teacher?

• Anonymous says:

Yah i am back in school.
    I LOVE all my teachers. One of my teachers let me bring in my ipod i class and we listened to it on the ipod dok it was so cool. This is my best year.

Hi, Marissa!
    I'm so glad to hear you like your teachers! What did you listen to when you used the iPod dock? Was it music?

• Anonymous says:

Hi Linda sorry i havent talked to you in a long time i have been so buzy with school and soccer and yes i do lisen to music on an ipod dok.

Hi, Marissa!
    No problem! I'm very glad to hear you're having a good school year! Soccer must be a lot of fun–and a lot of running! LOL Take care.